Monday 23 February 2015

Soul Seller - BJ & Co.


I hope ya'll like my Music Covers Page. Because I suppose that is what will be constantly updated on this blog once I finish a performance/competition.

Wow. That did't start this post well.

Song: Soul Seller
Singer/Band: BJ & Co.
Album: They (we?) actually wrote this song for the annual 'National Universities Intercollegiate Guitar Music Invitational' or more commonly known as The Guitar Cup

Released: 19th January 2015 (The day of the competition)
Genre: Alternative acoustic-rock (?)

There isn't a cover art but this will do
Lyrics:

In a busy day ,there's a busy man
在喧囂忙碌的一日,有著一個忙碌的人
In this crazy world, he always walks alone
在這瘋狂的世界,他總是獨自走著
He has nowhere to go .He says he is the soul seller
無處可去,他說他是個賣靈魂的人
He has nowhere to go. He’s just a soul seller
無處可去,他只不過是個販賣靈魂的人


(Woo)
There's a busy man
嘿! 那裏有個忙碌的人
He always walks alone
但他總是一個人走著
(Hahahahaha)
He says he is the soul seller
他說道 他是個賣靈魂的人
But all I see is nothing but a traveler
也不過是個 昨日的過客


Walking on the street,in this crowded city.
走在這喧囂城市的街道上
Maybe you can see a man singing to the shadows.
或許你會看見一個人在對著影子歌唱
He’ll give you everything ,And you don’t need to pay
而他將會滿足你所有,卻不收任何一毛錢
Do not fear the cost ‘cause it’ll come eventually
別害怕付出代價,因為它終將會到來
And sometimes ,you should know
而有時,你必須了解
When he uses up all his soul.
當他耗盡了靈魂
He will die again, again like you.
他將再次死去,再次 像你一樣


(Woo)
There's a man like the mist
嘿! 那裏有個像煙霧般的人
Singing a song,try’na let us know.
唱著歌,像是在告訴我們些甚麼
Listen listen listen
聽阿 聽阿
he says he is the soul seller
他說道 他是個賣靈魂的人
what is the soul seller?
究竟什麼是賣魂者?


*Chorus*
我將要成為
I’ll be the star
指引你道路的星星
Guiding your way
感受你的靈魂
Feel the presence of your soul
你是如此空虛,讓我地靈魂注入你的心靈吧
I can rid you of your hollowness

Just follow the sign
隨著它去吧
Don't suspend your steps
別停下腳步
It’s seems like nothing’s there
看似黑暗虛無
Cause your mind is much hollow
只因你也還是個未知

In a busy day ,there's a busy man
在喧囂忙碌的一日,有著一個忙碌的人
In this crazy world, he’s still walks alone
這瘋狂的世界,他總是獨自走著
But he knows where to go, cause he is the soul seller
而他知道該往何處因為他是個賣魂者
He knows where to go. He’s just a soul seller
他知道該往何處,而他只不過是個販賣靈魂的人


(Woo)
There's a busy man
嘿! 那裏有個忙碌的人
He always walked alone
但他總是一個人走著
(Hahahahaha)
We will carry on singing his ballad
我們會繼續唱著他的歌
(Woo)
A never ending song.
一首無盡的歌

*Chorus*

Oh yeah I’m the soul seller
是的我就是其中一個賣魂者

Just follow the rhythm like I'm a piper
跟隨我吧 如同我是個吹笛者一般
I will lead you in a timeless dance
如此一來 一切將永不停止
And you will become a soul seller
而你將會成會賣魂者
Igniting sparks among sleeping hearts
蔓延,如星火燎原般
Jolting them awake from their soulless shells
思考著 並且同時迎向重生

Noel's Lyric Interpretation:
Hi. I don't see how I can interpret the lyrics for you. You see, I've been told many times about the story behind this song, but I never really seemed to get it. I pretend that I do, to please the dude who wrote the melody and the backbone of the song (his name is BJ ((not joking k)) and he's the tallest singer in the video), but I honestly don't. 

Mainly because he chose the words 'Soul Seller' for this song. I mean, legit. Where is your soul? But then he starts ranting about how the soul is a metaphor for ideas, opinions, and basically thought. And how that we all are soul sellers and we are supposed to spread the idea and inspire. But him being a typical Taiwanese, couldn't write English for a dollar's worth. I'm not being high and mighty (God knows how many grammar mistakes I've made on this blog alone), but when I read the first English draft of the song, I pulled him aside and told him I had to fix his grammar and vocabulary mistakes before I lost my mind. I suppose that's how I got involved in this song. Me, being a freshman, involved in a national competition? Absolutely unheard of. But then again, the whole club's English level needs work. 

I supposed I approached him too early because he told he was consult Teacher Noel sooner or later (I swear the whole guitar club calls me that when I correct their pronunciation and grammar). Perhaps I should have waited a little longer but horrid grammar makes my toes curl in agony. 

So I fixed the lyrics. There are still some parts I find grammatically incorrect and nonsensical but BJ refused to change and I couldn't find a better substitute, can you spot them? And during their pre-competition meeting, all the seniors shut up about the lyrics when BJ mentioned I already fixed it. Before that, they couldn't stop picking the bones of his lyrics hahaha. 

But to tell you the truth. I absolutely love this song. The melody is simply haunting, and the idea behind the song is actually quite good. I love how the song gives an image of a busy market in my mind. I can't believe I took part in this song, even though I was just being a Grammar Nazi. 

I told BJ I was going to write a short story based on this song, cos the image in my mind was just too vivid, too malleable. But I suppose he got caught up with the idea and he kept feeding me his ideas and he expanded his universe to something like the Lord Of The Rings, cause we watched The Hobbit before we fixed the lyrics. I'm probably just going to stick with a short story. 

Oh oh oh! I almost left out the most important bit! THE SONG GOT 6TH PLACE IN THE SONGWRITING CATEGORY OF THE COMPETITION. I'm sososososososooso proud. I was only like a speck of dust in the production of this song but I'm still bursting with pride. I'm not even sure why. I just love this song so much. I think it deserved better results but alas, Taiwan is a mandarin-centered country, many people question my presence there, I suppose an English song will not shine as bright and touch as many people as a Mandarin song. 

I've been shoving this song in many of my friends' faces recently. And I'm not done yet. I can't get over how good this song is and I'm just proud proud proud. I wish that I will be able to write songs as good as this in the future. Soon. Soon. Soon. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who comment are sexy

These Are Apparently Popular